THE HISTORY OF EASTERN SHORE CHAPEL CHOIR
The Choir of Eastern Shore Chapel (1689) has a long history of excellence in sacred music. Currently this choir is the largest in the Episcopal Diocese of Southern Virginia. In addition to its liturgical duties, the choir regularly performs concerts of major sacred works with orchestra. Over the years these performances have included Honegger’s King David; Britten’s Noye’s Fludde; Bach’s Christmas Oratorio; Puccini’s Messe de Gloria; Rutter’s Te Deum among many others. Most recently, the Choir of Eastern Shore Chapel has performed Mozart’s Requiem and Haydn’s Mass No. 3 in D Minor (“Lord Nelson”). The choir also has performed Handel’s Messiah on a number of occasions, most recently in collaboration with The Princess Anne Chamber Orchestra, Virginia Beach.
The Choir Eastern Shore Chapel has participated in a number of choir festivals including the Innsbruck International Choral Festival in 2005. In addition, they have performed twice at the Washington National Cathedral, St. Mark’s Episcopal Church, Capitol Hill; Church of the Epiphany, Washington, DC and Innsbruck Congress Saal Tyrol, Austria. The choir was honored with an invitation to provide the choral music at the official celebration of the 400th anniversary of the First Landing at Virginia Beach in April 2007. The ESC Parish Choir recently returned from a performance tour of England where they sang services at Great St. Mary’s, Cambridge and Guildford Cathedral. The ESC Choir also performed a concert at Salisbury Cathedral as a part of their tour.
The Choir of Eastern Shore Chapel performs regularly with the Eastern Virginia Brass Quintet, the Virginia Symphony Orchestra and Symphonicity (the Virginia Beach Symphony Orchestra.) They have also performed concerts with The Cantata Chorus, Norfolk, VA; The Choirs of St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, Akron, OH and the Amabile Girls Choir, Cumbria, United Kingdom.